Saturday Session (12 September 2015 ) By Mr. Suraj Arya on Life Sciences. More than 250 students attended the session.
Greek word – BIOS——life
Logous – Study of
Aristotle—Father of Biology
Father of Zoology (Study of Animals)
Theophrastus—Father of Botany (plants)
Lamarck &Treviranus— gave the term Biology
- (I) Microbiology—Study of Micro-organisms. (Eg- Bacteria, Virus)
(1) Louis Pasteur— Father of Microbiology
- Pasteurization is the technique used to kill micro-organism.
- Pasteur developed Anti rabies vaccine
- Rabies is caused by virus which is transmitted by a dog bite
- (Q) Rabies is caused by
(a) Mosquito bite (b) Dog bite (c) Bacteria (d) Virus (e)None
5) Virus is a connecting link b/w living & non-living.
6) Euglena is a connecting link b/w plants & animals.
- (II) Taxonomy— study of nomenclature & classification
- Linnaeus – Father of Taxonomy
- He gave binomial system of nomenclature
- Species is basic unit of classification
(III) Genetics— study of heredity & variation