STAFF SELECTION COMMISION – JUNIOR ENGINEER (SSC-JE)
Staff Selection Commission (SSC) annually releases Notification for recruitment of candidates for the post of SSC-JE under Electrical, Mechanical and Civil cadre. SSC conducts recruitment for these posts through a Computer Based Test (CBT) and an offline exam. This is a very good opportunity to build a career in a government job, Options Coaching Academy is the best SSC JE coaching in Dehradun.
SSC JE 2017-18
SSC has recently released the admit cards for Tier 1 Exam for 2017-18. The exam for SSC JE 2017 will be conducted on 22-01-18 to 29-01-18. It includes Junior Engineers Group-B (Non-gazetted) posts, in level six (Rs 35400 – 112400/-) of pay matrix of 7th Pay Commission.
VACANCY: The number of vacancies for the exam 2017-18 has not been finalized as of now. They will be updated in the course of the exam.
To be able to give this exam a candidate should fulfil the following criteria:
|JE (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical), MES||30 years|
|JE (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical), Central Water Commission and CPWD||32 years|
|JE (Civil and Electrical), Department of Post and JE(Quantity surveying and Contract), MES||18-27 years|
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS (as on 01-01-18)
A candidate must possess a Degree/Diploma in Engineering. Moreover, posts specific educational qualifications have been mentioned by SSC accordingly.
|Serial No.||POST||EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS|
|1.||Junior Engineer (Civil), CPWD||Diploma in Civil Engineering from a recognized University.|
|Diploma in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering from a recognized University.|
|3.||Junior Engineer (Civil), Department of Posts||Three years Diploma or equivalent in Civil Engineering from a recognized institution.|
|4.||Junior Engineer (Civil), MES||Degree in Civil Engineering from a recognized University.|
|5.||Junior Engineer (Electrical & Mechanical), MES||Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering from a recognized University.|
The job of a SSC JE Junior Engineer is very extensive and challenging. They are responsible for designing, planning and actively participating in their respective fields of specialization. Newly recruited Junior Engineers will be given charge of a section of the department they are selected for. They will have to perform various functions under their job profile like supervising work, planning and estimating repairs and renovations, maintaining accounts of their section proficiently, assisting supervisors and reporting to a higher authority.
The selection is based on an online and written exam that is conducted in two phases. There is no interview for SSC JE posts. SSC prepares the final merit list based on the marks scored by the candidates in Paper I and Paper II.
PAPER I: Paper 1 is the Objective type. There is a penalty of 0.25 marks for each wrong answer.
|SUBJECT||NUMBER OF QUESTIONS||MARKS||
|2||PART A: General Engineering (Civil and Structural)|
|PART B: General Engineering (Electrical)||100||100||2 hours|
|PART C: General Engineering (Mechanical)|
|3||General Intelligence and Reasoning||50||50|
PAPER II: It is descriptive in nature.
|1||PART A: General Engineering (Civil and Structural) OR
PART B: General Engineering (Mechanical) OR
PART C: General Engineering (Electrical)
The syllabus for SSC JE exam includes Coaching in Dehradun three major sections:
- Reasoning and General Intelligence
- General Awareness
- Technical subjects (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical)
Reasoning and General Intelligence Syllabus
- Problem Solving
- Visual Memory
- Space Visualization
- Verbal classification
- Arithmetic Reasoning
- Arithmetic Number Series
- Other analytical functions
General Awareness Syllabus
- History (Mainly Indian history)
- India and its neighbouring countries
- Current Affairs
- General Economy
- General Polity
THE General Awareness questions asked here are very different from those asked in insurance and bank exams. More questions in SSC JE exam focus on static General Knowledge rather than current affairs. Therefore, you need to focus mainly on making your static General Knowledge strong. Use NCERT to improve basics in this section.
IMPORTANT TOPICS FOR ENGINEERING EXAM ACCORDING TO THEIR WEIGH TAGE
Important topics for Mechanical Exam
- Fluid mechanics and machinery: Properties of fluids, pipe flow, pressure measurement, turbines and pumps, Bernoulli’s theorem.
- The strength of Materials: Torsion, bending moment and Shear force, pressure vessels and springs, stress, columns.
- Production Engineering: Welding, forming, metal casting, cutting tools, heat treatment.
- Theory of machines: Mechanism, gears, and gear train, flywheels, balancing.
- Thermodynamics: Law of thermodynamics, Entropy, properties of gases, properties of substances.
- IC Engine: Air standard cycles, combustion, knocking, testing.
- Machine Design: Clutches, belt and rope drive, bearings, riveted joint.
- Refrigeration and air conditioning: Psychometry and air conditioning, refrigerants.
Important topics for SSC JE Electrical exam – SSC JE Coaching in Dehradun
- Basic Network: Fundamentals (R.M.S. and average values of alternating waves, Instantaneous Peak, resonance, star and delta connection etc.), Circuit law ( AC, Kirchoff’s law, magnetically coupled circuits).
- Electrical Machines: DC Generators, autotransformers, DC motors, induction motors.
- Basic Electronics: P-N diodes, BJT, JFET, transistors (NPN and PNP type), optical devices, oscillators, feedback amplifiers.
- Measuring Instruments and Measurement: Error analysis, AC Bridges, measurement of power (2-watt meter), PMMC and PMMI instruments.
- Power systems: economics and power generation, power system protection, power distribution system, transmission lines.
Important topics for SSC JE Civil and Structural Exam – SSC JE Coaching in Dehradun
- Building Materials: Cement, aggregates, timber and paints, concrete, stone and brick masonry.
- Hydraulics: Fluid properties, pumps and turbines, flow in open channel and pipes, measurement of flow, Bernoulli’s theorem, and hydrostatics.
- Surveying: Principles, Earthwork calculation, Tachometric Survey, levelling, contouring.
- A strength of materials: elasticity constants, types of beams (indeterminate and determinate), torsion, columns, springs.
- RCC Design: Shear strength, slabs and footing, staircases, water tank, retaining wall, working stress method.
- Steel Design: Refer IS800:2007 to practice direct questions, tension members, roof truss and girder, general designs principles.
- Soil Mechanics: Phase diagrams, index properties, bearing capacity of the soil, Earth pressure theories, permeability and effective stress, the shear strength of soils (Direct shear test and Triaxial shear test).
- Estimation, Costing and Valuation: RCC work, flooring, timber work, plastering, shuttering, painting, Trapezoidal formula, Simpson’s rule, estimation of Brickwork, etc.
- Irrigation Engineering: Water requirements of crops, runoff coefficient, Kharif and Rabi crops, hydrology, designs of canals (Lacey’s theory, Kennedy’s theory), types of canals, measurement of rainfall, Command area, crop ratio.
- Transportation Engineering: Highway engineering, geometric design, traffic engineering, railway engineering, pavement design, highway materials.
- Study according to the syllabus and avoid wasting time on topics that are out of the syllabus.
- Divide your study time into different slots to study different subjects regularly.
- Maintain consistency in your studies. The regular consistent smart study is the most crucial Mantra to crack this exam.
- Solve previous 5 years papers to know the pattern of questions.
- Attend test series regularly. Test series help you to analyze your preparation. Take mock tests repeatedly to improve your performance.
- Keep revising constantly and make short notes for last minute revision.
- Do not follow multiple books. Stick to a few good books.
Options Coaching Academy is the leading SSC JE Coaching in Dehradun with 100% results